22 April 2010

Adventures in Visaland!

Today I had to make our second visa run, but before I tell you the exciting story you have to have a little background.  It is very hard to get solid information here.  Things seem to change day by day (if not hour by hour).  We have been told we should get a year long visa for language but no one will give us one.  I found out today we cant get one at least not in Belgrade (but our friends in Novi Sad have one) go figure.  On Monday I went to the visa office to double check all the paperwork I would need before I reapplied for another 3 month visa (keep in mind these things are $500 a pop).  I spoke with Jelena and she said I just needed photo copies of the documents from my original application.  I was stoked, I had all that and figured I could run over there and pay the "fees"  start the application.  Oh if things could only be that easy.  So here is how my adventure to Visaland went today.
After language school I hopped on the tram and headed for the Office of Foreigners (OOF) where you get your visa.  I took my yellow folders with all my documents and stopped at the visa application office (which is two buildings away)and had the applications filled out.  (Here you pay - i know shocking- for someone to fill the forms out for you).  After I got the forms I walked down to the OOF to file the application.  As I sat down with the clerk she asked for copies of my documents which I provided except I had copies of the translations, not the actual english documents.  The clerk excused herself and came out with her supervisor.  Her supervisor asked me where the original documents were.  I told her i thought i just needed the copies.  She then proceeded to tell me what I brought was not documents but translations.  She did this while waving my documents and switching between English and Serbian I told her I did not have originals but could go get them.  She then moved on to Jen's application and started asking me where Jen was and questioning if she was even in the country.  By now I am getting a little hot under the collar but tried to explain Jen was at home. She then POKED ME IN THE CHEST!!! and grabbed the phone and started  yelling at some one in really fast Serbian.  At this point I thought great I am going to get arrested (which would have made a way better blog by the way).  I sat down and asked the original clerk if I could have my documents and go home.  Of course she did not speak English but by now I could not remember any Serbian.  She wrote a number on a piece of paper and told me to go to this room.  (now i really thought i was gong to jail or at least a really serious interigation), but instead I went to the visa boss, who said my applications looked great, next week I need to bring the originals, and go on back downstairs and finish the application.  WHEWWWW, dodged a bullet there.  All in all it turned out great and we can stay for three more months.  I hope!
Tune in next time as I explain the adventures of getting our crate here.

1 comment:

KJ said...

You guys are so brave! I know I would have cried!!!!