03 May 2010

The Great Crate Adventure Part 2

If you have not read part 1 do that first:
To recap - we are waiting on Milos to call and tell us the crate has cleared customs.  I call him he says not yet but assures me today.  Around 12 he calls and says the crate has cleared customs and will be delivered around 2.  I come home and start trying to round up help.  At 3:30 the fun begins.  My phone rings and a man is speaking Serbian - no English.  I understand he wants to know how to get here but have no idea how to tell him  Jen try's he gets frustrated hangs up.  I go downstairs find a guy that speaks English and Serbian call the driver back try again, no luck he hangs up again.  I run back upstairs and ask Jen to try to talk to our neighbor, Rada, (she does not speak English either) and get her to call the guy and explain how to get where we live.  Rada comes through and about 5 minutes later the Crate is here - sort of: Jen took the above picture from our window - the gray truck has the crate and that is where he wanted to unload it.  Now this leads to a funny story.  On that truck is a two ton crate - The delivery guy thought I had a fork lift???? and was peeved when I did not.  He said if I could get about 20 guys we could just take it off the truck.  This little delimma leads to a call to Milos.  For some reason Milos thought I had a fork lift???? I explain I do not own a fork lift but do have some help coming and we will just empty the crate (granted the guy is parked like 100 yards away).  Milos tells the guy he has to stay here until we get the crated unloaded.  This spurs him to action and now he feel like he can get closer to our door.  As you can see it was tight squeeze.  So he
gets the truck much closer but the driver still thinks we are going to take the crate off the truck.  I have a friend explain what we are going to do and then we ask where his tools are to open the crate.  Of course my tools are in the crate and he does not have any.  Back to my neighbor Rada and we borrow a hammer and a screwdriver.  Using those we are able to pry the door open and finally start unloading.  Thanks to my friend Marko we had about 10 young guys helping us unload and were able to get everything out of the crate in about an hour.  The guys had a great system and were the best.  Jen had things unpacked and our flat organized by Friday evening.  Sidenote PLEASE READ:
Getting the crate was very exciting and I hope you enjoyed the fun we had getting it here but the crate and stuff in it was/is not important.  Having more clothes, or toys for the kids, or books to read is nice but we live in a place where the average person makes about $500 dollars a month.  Stuff does not matter what does is helping the people of Serbia know the truth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's like Christmas isn't it? :) We're still waiting for ours after 16 mos. Will be here in June, though. (-Derek in VA)