15 October 2011

Fantastic Friday

This week has certainly not been fantastic.  I am in the U. S. but, for the funeral of my grandfather.  You can read about him here.  That being said (new favorite phrase by the way) I thought I would reflect on some of my impressions of home.  Two years is not a long time away but two years shifts perspective.
1.  No one parks on the sidewalk here.  They park in parking lots and walk instead of parking on the sidewalk right in front of where they are going.
2.  The traffic is light, there are no people out walking down the clear sidewalk (which they could do if they were out because no one is parked on the sidewalk!)
3.  BIG, everything is BIG here.  Big cars, big trucks, big everything.  I had a load of laundry to do and in my eyes it was huge and I dropped it in my moms washing machine and it looked empty.  Everything is BIG.
4.  Humidity, Humidity, Humidity.  I have not missed you old friend.
5.  WAL -MART is the most amazing place on earth.  I could spend all day there.  We had tricked our selves into thinking that we had stores like Wal - mart.  Wal - mart is Wal - mart, there is no place like it!
6.   CHOICES, CHOICES, CHOICES!  There are so many choices everywhere you go.  It's sort of overwhelming.
These are just a few of the things I've noticed and as the week progresses I'm sure I'll notice more.

2 comments:

matt said...

One thing: refills (that are free)
ketchup (again that is free)

Ray Young said...

Thanks for that perspective Kyle. I think we could all benefit from spending time outside the US so we could appreciate the many conveniences we have but also to learn that we spend far too much time, energy, and money to live in our "convenient" world. I am striving to simplify my life so that I can focus on those things that are really important such as faith, family, and friends.