21 November 2012

A hiking Kyle will go...

Jen and I overlooking the Gorge
Jen and I had the great pleasure this past week of attending a leadership meeting in Greece.  We stayed in the mountains of northern Greece in a quaint little village.  Most of our time was spent training, meeting and learning but I did get one serious adventure in on this trip.  Sunday all the guys went on a "hike".  If you know me hiking (or anything outdoors) is not on my radar but I thought this would be a great opportunity to spend time with some friends and maybe relax, so a "hiking" I went (there was some serious peer pressure applied as my other choice was to shop with the women).  When I hear the word hike, I think of a long walk in the woods, maybe a river to cross.  Apparently when my colleagues say hike they are really saying "we are going to climb down a mountain walk four hours in difficult terrain at the bottom of a gorge and then climb back up about 3000 feet." - unfortunately I figured this out after we had hiked for 45 minutes and we came to a sign that said START.  When half the guys came out with hiking sticks, boots, camel packs etc, I should have clued in that this may be a little difficult.  By the end of our 12 mile hike I was exhausted, especially after climbing out of the gorge but it had been a fantastic experience and a great time with a great group of guys.  
When I came out of the gorge Jen was waiting for me and told me there is a sign at the top of the gorge stating that the "Vikos Gorge" is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the worlds deepest gorge (after some research I found out this is true and a gorge is different from a canyon.  A canyon is wider and a gorge is more narrow.  So as an example the Grand Canyon is deeper the Vikos but they are different).  So not only did I survive the hike, I got to hike the deepest gorge in the world.  That is an adventure worth noting (also worth noting, hiking the worlds deepest gorge only needs to be done once). 
Papigo, the village we stayed in

The Proof

Nearly Dead at the end of the Hike

Clouds settling on the mountains

Europe's cleanest River according to a waiter in a restaurant we ate at.


No comments: