16 September 2010

One year later

September 16, 2009 - Jennifer and I were officially hired by our company in Jacksonville, Florida.  This was the conclusion of a two year process and the beginning of a new life.  Jennifer and I had known for some time that God was leading us in a different direction and we spent the better part of two years  searching for what the direction in our lives was going to be.  In early 2008 we were approved to start the process with our current company which culminated in a great week in Florida in September 2009.  We were able to spend the week with great friends, to learn, to get trained and begin the preparation for our new life, and oh how life is new.  In the past year we have sold much of what we owned (cars and two massive garage sales).  We lived in Virginia for two months training, we spent a final Christmas with family (and the LPC Christmas eve service followed by IHOP).  My girls took their first of many transatlantic flights.  We arrived in a new country on New Years Eve (and these people love to celebrate).  Our kids go to schools that speak a foreign language.  Jen and I are trying to learn a foreign language. Although a year later I am not nearly as lost in language as I used to be.  We have significantly downsized, we live in about 700 square feet now.  We use public transportation everyday.  We walk alot, which makes us healthier right? We buy groceries nearly every day.  Jen cooks 99% of our meals from scratch (the other 1% is McDonald's).
I think we love more, granted we have had some tough days but overall I know we are much closer as a family.  Our friendships are deeper.  My personal walk with the Lord is way better and way more meaningful now.  We have met some great people.  We have been loved on by Serbs in a way that has exceeded our wildest dreams.  Those friends from a year ago who are now all over the world, super close to those guys.  We are bonded in a very different way.  Someone asked me in an email recently if I would do it again and I honestly say Yes I Would!.  It is hard here sometimes, and I know a cold bleak winter is around the corner.  But this past year has been amazing for me and my family and I know God has plans to blow my mind in ways I can not imagine in the coming year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a year! We are so glad that you're sweet family became part of our family. I can't imagine having done this without you guys.

Love ya'll,
-KBowman

Hepners Blog said...

Great Blog! We are so glad you guys were obedient to the Lord's call...and we are so glad that we have the privilege to serve along side you guys! Lots of love from K-town!

CharlesW said...

Kyle, I am still in classes but I follow you regularly. I praise God for what you are doing and the impact you will surely have for His kingdom.

The Lazenby Family said...

Nice post, it is fun to think about everything that has happened in the past 12 months. We'll always love you guys and the rest of our Quad 23 family!