05 December 2010

Where is the Music?

One of the really strange things this Christmas season is the missing music.  We are listening to  Christmas music at home but that's the only place to get Christmas Music.  It's not on in the car, it's not in stores, it just does not exist here.  I'm not even sure they have Serbian Christmas Music, I'll investigate that this week.  But even though there has been a lack of Christmas music outside of the house, we are listening at home.  While I was listening to Third Day: Christmas Offerings this week I noticed something new in the song "What Child Is this?"  Third day had added a new verse :
Nails and spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.
That verse really caught my attention and got me thinking.  I love Christmas, I love celebrating the Birth of My Saviour.  I love the image of a little baby.  But after thinking about this verse I am just taken back because we have to remember that the little baby becomes a man who died for me and you.  And he did not die a peaceful, easy death it was nails, spears and unimaginable pain.  More then that his death was not a surprise to him or to God, his death was THE PLAN for me and you (and Mary and Joseph probably had a good idea how the Messiah's life looked in Isaiah, so you have to wonder when looking at that baby if they to thought of this verse: Isaiah 53:5
But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.)  Any way one little Christmas song, one new verse, and I look at Christmas with even clearer eyes as I think about a baby in a manger.  Here is a video with the Third Day Version:

object width="480" height="385">


No comments: