14 January 2012

All Good Things Must Come To An End

This week marked the end of two of my favorite entertainment outlets.  The David Crowder Band (DCB) released their last album and Jen and I bit the bullet and watched the final episode of Friday Night Lights. (Knowing it was the last one I has been holding out.)

Since they started out so many years ago in Waco, DCB has been one of my favorite bands (Christian or otherwise).  Certain songs or albums form them have coincided in with huge moments in our lives.  It was after a DCB concert that Jen and I prayed earnestly to follow God's leading in our life.  The songs off the Remedy album have helped me grow deeper in my relationship with God.  We have seen them man times in concert own all their albums and are sad that they are wrapping up their final concert tour.  If you have not listened to Crowder they are so musically different from anything out there, and the words they choose glorify God in an amazing way.  Start with the Remedy album, it's easily their best.

Friday Night Lights was one of the best shows on TV ever.  It was not a show about football.  It was a show about people and football happened to be a big deal in their lives.  Watching the final three seasons after leaving coaching, was the only time I really wanted to return to coaching.  I loved the way coach Taylor interacted with his players and I longed for that.  But the best part of this show was the way Coach Taylor and his wife (Tammy) worked as a great marriage.  It was real, so many of the conversations they had about kids, school, life - were mirrors to many of the conversations Jen and I had.  I appreciated that, unlike so many other TV dad's and husbands, Coach Taylor was not a buffon.  He lead his family and he led his team.  It was great entertainment and I was little sad to watch Coach Taylor and Tammy walk off that field one last time. 

So no more new Crowder and FNL only on DVD.  All good things do eventually come to an end.



1 comment:

Michelle said...

I remember when I first starting watching FNL. Coach Taylor reminded me of a certain girls Basketball coach that I played for in High School. Hope all of well in Serbia :-)