27 January 2012

Tales from inside the police car

If you follow this blog much you know that going to get a visa is always an adventure here in Serbia.  Weather it is needing that one more piece of paper, which no one had mentioned before or being poked in the chest at the Office Of Foreigners there is something that always happens.  My trip on Monday was no exception, as a matter of fact, this may have been the most adventurous yet. 

I now have a policy before I go to get our visas that I collect every piece of paper and document that may be required.  Putting this policy in action Monday morning I went to a copy center and had all our documents and translations copied twice just in case they wanted two copies....  Then I headed to the bank.  I needed a letter from the bank proving that our company had and account and had some money.  Myself and the banker had a 20 minute discussion on the fact that he did not think I needed the letter (this 20 minutes is crucial, remember it).  After convincing him needing it was not the issue, having it in case I needed it was what was important because I needed it last time. I got the letter.

Now back to that 20 minutes.  Apparently it was just enough time for a policeman to determine I was illegally parked (by the way I was not, there is simply no rhyme or reason for parking here.  If your car fits then you can park it.  The little alley I was parked in had several other cars parked in it).  As I exited the bank I saw him standing at my car and started running and yelling "No No No that is my car"  (Yes in English, its part of my dumb American I don't understand what is going on around me act.  If I may say so myself one I have perfected).  So I get to the car and the guy wants all my info.  I give him my passport, the car registration, the letter that says I can drive the car.  He keeps asking for more information which I don't understand (remember I have lost all ability to speak Serbian, I can't even say yes or no).  So I give him every piece of paper in the glove box and since I am going to get a visa I start giving him those documents also - glad I got two copies of everything.  Eventually my mountian of paper frustrates him and he takes me to his car....

So as we are walking back to his car (about 25 feet away) and my main concern is I don't have time or money to head over to the impound lot and get the car, then he opens the back door and tells me to sit (amazing Serbian Language recovery her by the way, I quickly complied).  Now my thoughts have shifted to wondering what jail is like here, and the fact that I really do not have time to go to jail and get a visa today.  Apparently I was not in the car to get a ride but for a better viewing of the "Where to Park Show".  That's right while I sat in the car, the policeman walked around and showed me about 10 "legal" parking spaces (legal is in quotes because not one space he showed me was a legally marked space).  I was informed I could park on the sidewalk, I could double park and block others in, I could park on the ramp for the garage - to the side of course so cars could get by-, I could park just about anywhere except where I was.  That was clearly and illegal place.  After the show he told me to get out of the car gave me my passport and told me to leave. I was very gracious and thankful and got out of there fast.  Parked the car "legally" at our place and headed by bus to the visa office.

Best part of this whole story, the banker was right, didn't need that piece of paper at all. 

2 comments:

Cara said...

Oh do you ever make me miss living overseas with this post. :D

Kathryn Taylor said...

Wish I could have been a fly on the wall watching you!