29 March 2010

Lesson 2: The Veil is Torn

Mark 15: 38-39  The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, "Surely this man was the Son of God!"
Why is this important, why is this recorded in 3 of 4 Gospel, why am I even talking about this? Becsue it repersents the instant the paradigm shifted.  Before Christ's death, we were slaves to the law.  The veil represented the barrier to God.  Only the high priest could enter and he only did it once a year.  After Christ's death that veil was torn - at the instant Christ breathed his last (for a few days anyway) the veil was destroyed.  Now you may be asking it was a curtain, what's the big deal?  This was no ordinary curtain.  Josephus, the Jewish Historian, described the veil as 60 feet High, 40 feet  wide and the thickness of a mans hand.  Mark states the veil was torn from "top to bottom".  No man could do this.  This was the work of God,  It was his way of saying "Hey! Here I am, come in, get to know me.  I Love you so much my Son just died for you."
I love the illustration of the veil.  When I am running and hiding from God.  I think about it.  Why am I hiding, God loves me, he pursues me, He is accesible, and in Christ's blood I am free.  That's power!
Lord, Thank you for loving us and drawing us to relationship. Thanks for tearing that veil, even at the cost of your Son.
We can't comprehend God's love - It's to big, the Cross, the veil, it to much.  But Oh he loves us.

 
Have a great day and come back tomorrow as we look all week at different aspects of the Passion story.

No comments: