31 December 2011

2011... Some thouhgts

If you're looking for a recap of 2011 and lots of fantastic pictures click here.  This post will be a little more serious as I reflect on two big events in 2011.

God really revealed himself to us in this year.  With Wilson being one of the worst sleepers of all time, Jen and I really took this verse to heart: Because of the LORD'S great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  Lam. 3:22-23.  I personally was pushed and stretched farther then I thought possible this year, and I expect much of the same in 2012.  We live a great life doing what we do, but it's not always a bed of roses.  being away form home is hard.  Our kids face some unique and different challenges (which they have handled with grace and aplomb far exceeding their age).  Despite the challenges and blessings of the past year, 2011 will be the year that I remember beginning with the birth of my son and the death of my Grandfather (whom my son is named after).

January brought us Wilson and all that comes with an infant.  Jen and I decided in our late 30's and having done this twice we are much better parents to Wilson then we were to the girls.  I know I am much more patient and things just come easier.  Raising a boy has been fun, he just does boy things and they are very different from the girl things that have dominated our house for nearly eleven years. 

As Wilson was growing, my Grandfather was nearing the end of his long life.  He has had a tremendous influence on me, mostly on my spiritual growth and helping me become who I am.  I knew two years ago as I hugged his neck it was for the last time this side of Heaven.  In October his health worsened and we knew the end was near.  I had a chance to have a few phone calls with him.  His voice was but a whisper but it still carried the conviction and passion I had grown up listening to.  Knowing the end was near my Grandfather asked that I come home and preach his funeral, he also told me what he wanted that funeral to be like (as long as I can remember my Grandpa thought his health was failing, so he had been planning this for a long time).  I was so honored to preach his funeral and share his passion for Jesus one more time for him.  The last thing my Grandpa said to me was "see you on the other side"  and I know that is true.

So back to those two events Life and Death.  We all face them, they happen all the time everyday.  But this year for me they were in such close position to each other.  Every time I look at Wilson, I think about my Grandpa.  Mostly I pray.  I pray that Wilson grows up to be the kind of man Grandpa was.  Christ first and always, and a deep love for family.  I hope 2012 brings a lot more life for me and for my family.  A fuller life, a life more focused on Christ and each other. 





No comments: