03 February 2012

Confused Numbers and Some Thoughts

Ok so just when I think my language is getting to a decent point things like this happen:
Wednesday I had to pay our rent.  To do this I withdraw Dinar (Serbian Currency) from the ATM and take it to an exchange to convert to Euros.  The rate is about 110 Dinar to 1 Euro.  So on Wednesday I told the lady I needed 12,000 euros (I needed 1200 but I messed up the word for hundred and thousand.  Its sort of confusing because Serbs would not say 12 hundred, the would say 1 thousand two hundred, I just combined these thoughts).  The lady got very excited, got on the phone and told me they were going to give me a better rate since I needed so much.  A few minutes later a very big dude walked in the door (security/money delivery guy) and wanted to see my dinar.  So I showed him my 12,000 dinar.  He just cracked up and told me I either wanted 1200 Euro or was about 1million dinar short. Then I  realized my mistake.  The great part was they were so entertained by me they gave me a great exchange rate anyway. 
Some thoughts and Updates:

It had been brought to my attention that the weather in Serbia is making the news in the U.S.  The really bad stuff is in the south and mountians.  Until today we have been snow free in Belgrade.  By the end of the weekend we will probably have a couple of feet.  Please pray for those in the south as it is a desperate situation.

Lets all be foregiving of Josh Hamilton.

You folks In Texas enjoy your beautiful weather and remember it in August.  We will be inside this weekend.







1 comment:

Cara said...

Ha ha - WIN! Glad you still got the good rate, even if it was because you were the entertainment of the day. :D